To add your event to this list, please email Pam Bailey or call (540) 587-5670. You can also look at the state extension office page here for events.
23rd Annual Virginia Biological Farming Conference
January 6-8, 2023 | Roanoke, Virginia
The 23rd annual Virginia Biological Farming Conference is Virginia’s premier organic and sustainable agricultural conference! The Conference brings together farmers, gardeners, eaters, educators, industry professionals, and advocates of biological, sustainable, regenerative, and organic agriculture. Learn more and register today.
Virginia Forage and Grassland Council
The Virginia Forage and Grassland Council invites you to its 2023 Winter Forage Conference Series, Learn to Read: Stockmanship for Better Cattle & Grass. This year’s conference will feature nationally-recognized stockmanship expert, Curt Pate, as he describes how to read and handle livestock in the field to improve your grazing and pasture management. Our other speakers will include fencing expert, Lewis Sapp, and Johnny Rogers of Rogers Cattle Co (Roxboro, NC), presenting on topics including designing a new grazing system or adding to existing fencing and watering infrastructure, and understanding and responding to growing conditions and livestock needs to optimize forage productivity.
Time: 9 am to 3 pm
When and Where:
- January 24 – Wytheville
- January 25 – Blackstone
- January 26 – Warrenton
- January 27 – Weyers Cave
- $50 On/before January 1
- $60 After January 1
- $70 Walk-ins
- $25 Live StreamingVFGC Members $10 discount. Visit www.vaforages.org to register.
Current Trends in Beef Cattle Breeding – January 31, 2023 at 6 p.m. at Springlake Stockyard
- Speaker – Dr. Scott Greiner, Extension Animal Scientist, Virginia Tech
- Dinner – $5 for Bedford Beef Producers Association members, $10 for non-members
- Annual Dues – $10 per person or $20 per family
- All with an interest in Beef Cattle are invited.
To register, contact the Bedford Extension Office at 540-586-7675 or email Scott Baker.
Springlake Stockyard Feeder Calf Sale
- Shelter Sale Day is every Saturday. Weighing begins at 6:30AM (can be changed with prior notice). Sale starts at 1:00PM. Visit their website for more information and a full calendar of events.
- State Graded Cattle is every Saturday. They also have goats, sheep, hogs, llamas, horses, & donkeys.
Gross’ Orchard Special Events
- Apple Blossom Festival – 2nd Sat. in April
- Peach Festival – 4th Sat. in July
- Apple Harvest Festival – 3rd Sat. in October
- Apple Valley 5K- 1st Sat. in November
- Wagon Rides are available Monday-Friday by appointment