Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest Bedford County Economic news straight to your inbox.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (managed by the Internet providers) will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The FCC website on the EBB Program is here: htps://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit
To clarify, both fixed and mobile providers are participating in this program. Here is the list of providers in Virginia.
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
• Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
• Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
• Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
• Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers;
• Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.